Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sad day.

I had my first trimester blood work done today. They took 3 vials of blood and I had to pee in a cup for a urine culture. Unless something is wrong, I'll find out in 2 weeks at my next appointment how my labs look. Not too much going on here this week! Still nauseated at times, but the past few days seem to be getting better *knock on wood*.

On a very sad note, I had an extremely rough day at work yesterday. For those of you that don't know, I am an LPN at an assisted living facility. One of the residents went completely unresponsive yesterday and by the time I got to his room his face was blue. I have never seen someone like this in my 3 years of nursing, or 5 years of care-giving before that. Needless to say, I couldn't find a pulse & he wasn't breathing. I had 2 co-workers in there with me (they are medication aides, but CPR certified). I was the only LPN on duty. We called 911 and then started CPR. I have never had to do CPR on someone before, and I hope I NEVER have to do it again. I just had this gut feeling that this poor man was gone before we even started. We worked on him for almost 10 minutes before the paramedics got there. They worked on him for another 45 minutes doing CPR. They were able to shock his heart one time, but it didn't work. They had to intubate him and then they did transport him to the hospital. They worked on him for another 90 minutes there before turning off the life support. This man was 89 years old & one of the sweetest people I have ever known. His poor wife of 62 years is so lost without him. It completely breaks my heart. I have been very emotional since this happened, and I don't think I will be able to get over it anytime soon. Thankfully I don't have to go back to work until Sunday.

I am praying for his family and everyone who loved him.

No comments: