Friday, July 2, 2010

infection

So my incision from my c-section is infected. UGH! I have been diligent about keeping the area clean, dry, and applying neosporin per doctors orders. Everything was going great until a couple of days ago, I noticed my scar had a lump underneath it, pretty much along the length of the incision. I thought maybe it was scar tissue at first. Not so much! I woke up yesterday morning to my underwear soaked with drainage and an even bigger lump. WTF?! The drainage was yellowish/orange, not a color I had seen before. I didn't immediately think it was infected because it didn't look like any infected incision I had ever seen. But taking my husband's advice I called the doctor anyways just to be sure all was well. The nurse wanted me to come in today just to have it looked it.

As soon as the doctor looked at it, he said "Oh well that's not good." Gee, thanks! He said it appeared to be a superficial infection & that he needed to open it up and drain it. Okay, I can handle that. First he numbed the area & OWWW did that hurt! He came back about 15 minutes later and started cutting into the middle of the incision where it was already draining. Once he got a tiny bit deeper than the surface I could feel everything and holy mother of God did it hurt! I had to suck it up so he could get it open enough to drain it. If that wasn't bad enough, then he was pushing hard all around it to get it to drain. Not only is it extremely sensitive and painful, I also had to pee really bad! I was so afraid if he pushed any harder I was going to pee my pants!!! LOL Thankfully I did not:)

So he packed the opening to ensure that it doesn't close, and now I am on heavy-duty antibiotics. He took a culture of the drainage, I am curious to see what shows up! I have to go back Monday to have him look at it again to ensure it is in fact healing. This is such a pain in the ass! Just when the soreness of the overall surgery was wearing off, this happens. Let me tell you, it is pretty painful right now. It hurts to bend over, sit down, stand up, you name it! I hope this antibiotic works and clears it up quickly.

My brother-in-law and his wife are flying in tomorrow from Indiana for the next week and I want to be able to do things and not be in pain! Thank goodness for Ibuprofen and Percocet :)

No comments: