Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Time for a change!

It's been far too long since I have blogged. My birthday, Christmas, and New Year's have come and gone! I can't believe it is 2009 already! I remember worrying that the world was going to end in 2000....haha that seems like so long ago! I have never been one to make new year's resolutions, and I don't really know that this is a "New Year's Resolution".

So, I'll give you a little background into my life! I have been overweight my entire life. I do not remember ever NOT worrying about my weight or what size I was wearing. When I graduated highschool almost 6 years ago, I weighed around 205lbs. I stayed that way until I entered nursing school. Let me tell you that the amount of time you spend on your butt in class and studying, you eat A LOT! We would eat out lunch everyday. I gained about 40 pounds my final year of college! Needless to say, it was time for a change. Right before graduation, I made some HUGE changes in my life (breaking off an engagement, deciding it was time to lose weight). Over the course of the next year (from 2006-2007) I lost about 50lbs. I met my husband, and was engaged in June 2007. I maintained my weight with the use of prescription drugs which I wish I NEVER would have taken! After our wedding in March 2008 I decided I should stop taking the medication. Big surprise, I have gained about 30 pounds since then!!

There have been other major life changing events over the past year an a half. My dad passed away suddenly in October 2007. Then my husband and I moved across the country this past October. I left everyone and everything I have ever known!! The past few months I have just been eating more and more when I have nothing to do. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week which leaves me with 4 days off! I have to find something to fill my time!!

So anyway, this is turning out to be longer than I thought!! My mom came out to visit over New Year's and she looked AWESOME! My mom has struggled with her weight her entire life as well. Over the past 5 months or so she has started eating healthier and working out and I was so proud of her! It really inspired me to change my lifestyle. I HAVE to make a change. I do not want to get pregnant at the point I am right now and then gain even MORE weight...I would be miserable! I know my husband wants me to just be HEALTHY...he really doesn't care about the weight. I love him for that! He is the only person I have truly ever felt that loves me unconditionally. He is my inspiration to be a better ME. I want to be healthy for us, for our future children so that I can live for a LONG TIME!

So that leads me to my "resolution" to live a better life! I got the book "The Better Life Diet" and I love it. It rocked me to my core pretty much. It is the wake up call I need to change my life. I know that there is no quick fix anymore. I have to work hard to get where I want to be. Chris & I are joining a gym. I inspired my boss to sign up for a group rate at the local gym and we are doing a weight loss contest as well. It starts January 20 and goes to July 5th. Even more motivation!

So I will be brutally honest and put it ALL out there. I have to face my reality so that I can change it. I weighed myself today and the scale said 234. It is about time I make a change!!!

I also joined the GP 2.1 weight loss challenge! Good luck to everyone!

No comments: