Thursday, May 27, 2010

36 week appointment & slight scare..

I had my 36 week check up yesterday. I thought it would be like any other, except they were going to do my Group-B Strep swab. The nurse takes me back and asks how I have been feeling. Fairly good, except I am still working 3, 12 1/2 hour shifts a week and it is super stressful. I mentioned that I have been getting really bad headaches the past 3 or 4 days but thought it was related to work. She checked my blood pressure and said "Well that's why". My blood pressure was 142/94!! It has never been that high! She said the doctor would be in soon.

My OB practice has 4 doctors that you see throughout your pregnancy so that when you deliver, you will have seen all of them. I love this since it won't be a complete stranger delivering my baby. I was seeing the one doctor I had not seen yet and she was wonderful. When she came in she immediately went over any signs/symptoms of Pre-eclampsia and what I need to look for. I had been seeing white spots for a couple of days, but she said it was only worrisome if they were black spots or my vision became blurry. She measured my belly, listened to Ethan's heart rate (which was great & he had the hiccups which was funny). She did the GBS swab and checked my cervix which I did not enjoy! She then said she wanted to do a few things. Number one, get some baseline lab-work to check for Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. Number two, I have to do a 24 hour urine collection (which I will finish in 5 hours thank god). Number three, I have to have a growth ultrasound next week to see how big Ethan is. Since I'm a bigger girl she had a harder time telling how big he really is. No complaints here, we get to see our baby boy again!

The bad part about all of this was that it was the one appointment my hubby could not come to! I had a feeling something would happen, too! The nurse gave me my lab slip and said she would call me first thing in the morning(today) with the results since my blood-work was being done STAT. I had to get stuck twice because I had a new lab guy who put my blood in the wrong tube. Great! Then he thought I could magically pee in the collection jug....umm I don't think so! Anyways, it is now 12:45 and I have yet to hear from the nurse or doctor. I called about an hour ago requesting results, but I am sure they are on lunch now. I am hoping that no news is good news, right!?

It really put things into perspective that we could have our baby SOON if this continues to be a problem. Luckily I am pretty much full-term and this didn't happen any sooner! The doctor didn't seem too worried since I could deliver now if I really needed to. But I don't WANT to! I want him to bake for at least another week! It got me nervous though, and today I have been cleaning and doing his laundry and packing our bags! I need to be ready to go!

I don't know how many of you read this, but if you could just think good thoughts for us I would really appreciate it! I will keep you updated!

1 comment:

Sumer said...

Good luck! I will be waiting for an update! 37 weeks is considered full term so you are not much earlier then that. Keep the feet up and reduce sodium intake and that will help the blood pressure!