Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bedrest it is:( super long post...

It's amazing how quickly things can change. I was at work yesterday (my 3rd 12 hour day in a row) when I noticed my head was throbbing. It hurt so bad to even keep my eyes open. I had a sinking feeling that my blood pressure was high so I had the other nurse check it. 146/112!!!! WHAT! She rechecked it in my other arm and got the same thing. I started getting nervous at this point and called my doctor's office. They said to come in right away, so I left work about 3pm (2 hours early). Luckily C had just gotten home so he was able to take me.
Once I got to the doctor's, they hook me up to the NST (non-stress test) and the nurse checks my blood pressure again. 138/108. Crap! She said she would recheck in after I rest for a little bit, but that I would most likely have to go to L&D for further monitoring. We sat there for about 20 minutes listening to Ethan's heartbeat (it was great!). The nurse came back in and rechecked my B/P and it was still 148/98. The doctor came in and had this somber look on his face and said, "You are DONE working!" Ok, I can handle that. It's a few weeks earlier than I had planned, but we'll make do. He then said he would meet me over at the Childbirth center, that I needed more lab work and more monitoring. He said IF he sent me home it would be on bedrest until Ethan is born. Okay, I can handle this...
We spent 4 hours in triage hooked up to the NST. My lab work came back okay and I am in the middle of doing another 24 hour urine collection to check for protein. I had quite a few contractions while I was there, but they were not painful. I had my regular appointment and ultrasound scheduled for this morning, and things just keep getting better..

The ultrasound went great! Ethan is about 7lbs 3oz (79th percentile) and measuring about a week ahead. He passed the Bio-Physical Profile which checks for practice breathing and movement. Then I had to see the doctor. First things first, my B/P was 134/98. Crap! She wasn't too thrilled with that. She listened to his heartbeat, 152 which is great. She checked my cervix: CLOSED! He is still up higher right about my pubic bone. She said the only way to fix my B/P is to have the baby, but my cervix is not favorable for inducing at this point. She said I am to be on strict bed rest until he comes. I got sent home with a blood pressure monitor and have another appointment Friday for another NST and B/P check. I will now be seen at least 2x/week until he comes. He sweet little face in 3d!
Not exactly how I saw things going, but it's out of my control. I'm thankful this didn't start until now and that I know Ethan is good size and will be okay if he comes a couple weeks early. The good news is he continues to do great with all the tests! Now I just sit and wait...I'm not a very patient person :)

Did I mention I still haven't packed my bag? LOL! We will be doing that when C gets home!

No comments: